Re-marketing to shopping cart abandoners can work very well if used properly, especially when automated, as you can learn from this very good webinar by SeeWhy, a shopping cart abandonment specialist solution provider.
Best practices for re-marketing to abandoners:
1. send the first follow up email within 20 minutes of your shopping cart abandonment
2. send the next email 23-24 hours later
3. 2-3 emails works the best
4. automate your email re-marketing process to abandoners
5. make sure your email re-marketing solution is integrated with your ordering process, as you would like to avoid sending your re-marketing email to someone who already purchased
6. randomize your incentive, ie. don’t always offer your incentive to abandoners for obvious reasons
I found two good email examples from well known stores, for your inspiration. One with an incentive and another without.
1. Re-marketing email without an incentive
2. Re-marketing email with an incentive